What do you understand by vulnerability? For me vulnerability means the state of feeling exposed to the possibility of being hurt or betrayed, either physically or emotionally.
Pursuit of Perfection?
We are all vulnerable at times in our daily lives, but many of us choose to follow a relentless pursuit of perfection, rather than embracing and understanding ourselves (and others) exactly as we are. It’s important to be compassionate with yourself as you truly are, and not trying to ‘fix’ the things that you feel are weaknesses, or imperfections. Judging yourself for what you consider imperfections means you will also judge others for the same. Ultimately it’s a pathway to separation. Life is meant to be a journey of wholeness and inclusion – what some call the Great Mystery.
My Top Tips:
- Be Aware. This requires a process of self-examination. Be curious about why you react when feeling exposed and your pain buttons are triggered. Sometimes it is to do with the ego, which hates to feel vulnerable. The ego likes to protect its public image and being vulnerable shows a sign of weakness, or a crack in its armour. You can also use journaling to become more aware of how you are feeling.
- Accept yourself as you truly are. Build on whatever that is rather than trying to rebuild yourself in order to pose as something else entirely. Relax, slow down, step back from your hectic world and find enjoyment and gratitude in everything you do.
- Stop worrying about what other people think of you. Set yourself free of the fears that you hold. Most other people are too focused on their own fears and hangups to notice yours anyway. Reframe the situation and tell yourself a different story. Change your mindset.
- Practice self compassion and forgive yourself for all mistakes you’ve made. This is critical to psychological well-being and your ability to handle stress better. Everyone has insecurities and flaws.
- Tryout new experiences, be brave and have the courage to show your fears but go for it anyway!
Being Vulnerable ~ Being Real ~ Being You
Being vulnerable means being open to the beauty of life as well any perceived weakness. Don’t try to hide or deny your vulnerability as it is your greatest asset. We need to accept our vulnerability if we wish to live a wholesome, full life. Even the smallest act of being true to ourselves and letting down our guard shows a commitment to personal growth.
Vulnerability is a sign of strength, not weakness! And suspending judgment of oneself and others will bring your attention into the present moment, as well as a vibrant connection to all of life.
Read more Monday Motivation blogs HERE.
Help to stay motivated – come and stay with us in our beautiful cottage apartments and make the most of our fantastic onsite training facilities, nestled on the outskirts of Dartmoor National Park.
Featured image by Lauren Langman