The Elephants Nest Inn is a cosy dog friendly pub in Horndon, near Tavistock. What a nice way to start and end your walk plus have a bowl of water for your dog. It’s about a 20 minute drive from Bowerland – Google Maps
- On leaving the Elephants Nest Inn pub turn right heading towards Horndon.
- When you reach the hamlet turn right again at the red phone box.
- Follow the road as it continues to bear right and narrows into a rough track as it heads downhill towards the River Tavy.
- After following this track for about 400m a ‘leat’ passes underneath it, here take a left and climb the stile and follow a level track beside the leat where you will have views over the Tavy valley and White Tor.
- This path continues along the leat for about a 1.5 miles until the leat joins the river at Hillbridge.
A different route
- If you wanted to return to the Elephants Nest via a different route you can climb the path to the left of the bridge and turn left onto the road, you will then see a large wooden gate with a house the other side.
- Pass through here and follow the stoney track for about 20 mins until you get onto moorland.
- You can then follow the road back towards Horndon by bearing left.
- On the return you can enjoy views of Dartmoor and Brentor if it isn’t foggy!