If we eat and drink well it will lead to a healthier and hopefully longer lifespan. There are of course, many other aspects that could improve our mental and physical health, and we could make other important changes to our daily life. But first of all let’s focus on food and diet.
Previously I followed Michael Mosley’s advice and became more aware of the quality of food and drink that I put into my body. For example, I choose my treats carefully and have them on rare occasions – not every day as I used to. This is one standard that helped me to be more aware of how I was rewarding myself on a regular basis. It could be a particularly scrumptious piece of cake, a chocolate bar, or a glass of wine at the end of a work day.
3 Simple Steps
- Be mindful of food quality
- Have smaller portions
- Stop eating when full, not when the plate is empty
That led on to me thinking about the health properties in various foods and drinks, and what we can do to improve our microbiome and immune system. One of my passions is kefir, which is a cultured, fermented milk drink, similar to yogurt with a tart, sour taste. Kefir is also rich in probiotic bacteria. Here is a recipe to make your own:
- Start off with some active kefir grains, place them in a fermenting jar, or any glass jar will do and add an amount of fresh milk, at least .
- Cover the jar with a lid or filter secured by a rubber band.
- Keep in a warm spot, 68°-85°F, to culture.
- This should take about 24 hours, or until milk is slightly thickened with the kefir grains fermenting at the top.
- After the milk changes texture and culturing is complete, separate the kefir from the milk by straining it into a bowl or jar.
- I tend to pop the strained kefir grains back into my washed fermenting jar, and start all over again with a new batch of milk.
- You can then simply drink the milk you have just strained, or pop it in the fridge to be drunk later, or mix it into a smoothie with fruit.
Next week I am going to share with you my favourite recipes for Kefir Smoothies! Read more Monday Motivation blogs HERE
Help to stay motivated – come and stay with us in our beautiful cottage apartments and make the most of our fantastic onsite training facilities, nestled on the outskirts of Dartmoor National Park.