For guests coming to Bowerland, the walk around the River Exe is a wonderful dog friendly walk and about a 30 minute drive from us. See driving directions on Googlemaps.
- Park up at Cricklepit Mill and then turn left out of the car park.
- In 50 yards turn right up an alleyway signposted Cricklepit Bridge.
- Cross this and turn left along the river.
- Just before you see an information board for the Ship Canal, cross a canal lock on the left.
- From that point turn right into Riverside Valley Park.
Proceed along the canal
- On the right and go straight on under some pylons.
- You will reach the Double Locks Hotel, walk through its grounds and on to a cycle track/footpath.
- A little bit further on you will see two viewing platforms from which you can look across a small wetland nature reserve.
- When you approach the Exeter Canal Bridge make sure you take a right fork at a pedestrian crossing.
- Go across the main road and then turn left over the canal and take the road signposted Countess Wear Waste Water Treatment Works.
Make sure you are between the river and the canal
- And follow the road for 1/4 mile, then join a pedestrian track next to the canal with the treatment works on your left.
- Turn left when you see a Devon Wildlife Trust sign for the Old Sludge Beds reserve.
- Then next right to follow the path/boardwalk through the reserve.
- Go straight on to cross the site.
- You will then come to a T-junction where you are facing the motorway bridge and the Exe reed beds and then turn right. This will lead you back to the public footpath next to the canal.
With the canal now on your left hand side
- Make sure you retrace your steps to where the path and road to the water meets the main road at Exeter Canal Bridge.
- At this point turn left and cross the main road at the pedestrian crossing.
- Now follow the footpath sign to the Double Locks and Exeter on the opposite side of the canal to where you were on the way out.
- Walk along the canal until you have passed a bridge over the canal on the right.
- You will find yourself now on a road, make sure you follow this until you see a paved area in front of some buildings, shops and flats.
- Cross this area to rejoin the river and retrace your steps along the bank to Cricklepit Bridge.
- Go over this and keep to the right to a narrow alleyway.
- Then turn left to Cricklepit Mill.